Wednesday 24 April 2013

Recipe Alert: Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Pasta

 - It's from Crazy Plates by Janet & Greta Podleski - Lanky Noodle Dandy
 - This recipe didn't bug my stomach :)

12 oz large no yolk egg noodles (about 5 cups dry) - I used Veggie pasta
2 tsp butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups sliced, mixed mushrooms - I used white button mushrooms
1 1/2 cups 2% milk - I used 1% as it's all I can tolerate
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-fat chicken broth - I used a chicken broth from Costco
1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese - I used your standard red and green label parmesan
1/2 cup low fat sour cream 
1/2 tsp each of dried Thyme and dried Basil
1/4 tsp white or black pepper
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
1 cup frozen peas (thawed) - I ended up adding another 3/4 cup
1/3 cup fresh parsley - I don't like parsley, so I didn't add it
1/4 cup chopped, roasted red peppers or pimentos - I can't have peppers, so they weren't added

Cook noodles according to package. Drain well and keep warm. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large, non-stick saucepan over med-high heat. Add garlic and mushrooms, cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Whisk together milk and flour until smooth, add to mushrooms along with the chicken broth. Cook until sauce has thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese, sour cream, thyme, basil, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked chicken, peas, parsley and red peppers. Heat until all peas and chicken are heated through. Serve over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment